funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sony DRM CDs infect Macs, too

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:14:52 +1300

Blue Boar wrote:

That'll show all you smug Mac bastards!

Well, technically, this "trick" can be pulled against any OS that
supports CD media and has something vaguely akin to Windows' "autorun"
functionality.  Of course, depending on the privileges needed to run
the "installer" (or whatever the application is that auto-runs) and the
availability of those to a "normal user" determines the overall
effectiveness of the "trick" on each potential target OS.

I strongly suspect that things like this SunnComm DRM (and other
"enhanced content" installers, not necessarily DRM) will make "normal"
OS X users (as opposed to uber-geek OS X users) much less suspicious of
the "give me root" dialog that pops up as a result of inserting such a
CD in an OS X machine, and similarly, typical Windows users will
equally quickly "learn" just to type in their admin password when
confronted with such things after Vista is released...

I mean, in the battle between enabling the pink flying elephant feature
and improved security, does anyone at MS or Apple really believe that
requiring a SOHO user to type in their administrator or root password
is really going to be a serious impediment to the installation of
(ultimately unwanted) pink flying elephant features?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald