funsec mailing list archives

RE: History's Worst Software Bugs

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:21:39 -0500

..."Wired has an article on the 10 worst sofware bugs
<http://wired.com/news/technology/bugs/0,2924,69355,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1>
.. From the article 'Coding errors have sparked explosions, crippled
interplanetary probes -- even killed people. Here's our pick for the 10
worst bugs ever, but the judging wasn't easy.'"

Appropos of this from today's Wasshington Post
(http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/08/AR200511
0801778.html): "Freddie Mac will reduce its profit for the first half of
2005 by $220 million due to an error caused by faulty accounting software,
the mortgage finance company said yesterday."

Yeah, right. The software made me do it.