funsec mailing list archives

Re[2]: French ruling party having a riot on the Internet

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:07:27 +0100

Good Day,

Tuesday, November 8, 2005, 9:26:59 AM, you wrote:

BA> tensions to go with it. If you stick to Steyn's point: that European
BA> political stability is being undermined by large numbers of
BA> non-integrated immigrants than it is hardly controversial.

It's about the same thing as saying racial riots are about to explode
any day in Los Angeles, or to say that US political stability is
undermined by the large numbers of current scandals in the
administration.

BA> Surely you don't want a Van Gogh* on French soil?

There are several already - Are you sure you are informed?

Now, on to the piece

The European countries that didn't go to war did not base their
decision on the presence of immigrants on their soil. The decision was
based on the following

A) there was absolutely no intelligence supporting the war. This is
something some Americans seem to discover now. It was generally
accepted here.

B) the population, including the white affluent one, the guys driving
BMWs and Mercedes, businessmen etc, was, in its vast majority opposed
to war. Opposed to war in general, and especially in that particular
case.

What those US pundits don't fully realize is that today, huge parts of
the European society have unfortunately become profoundly
anti-american. We do most of our business with US companies and I have
been criticized by other local company managers on several occasions.
That's of course unfortunate, because we ultimately share the same
value, but the average guy around here likes China better than the US
nowadays.

As far as the supposed current French "terrorists" are concerned, the
piece omits the fact that the French Muslim organizations, both
officials and informal, have been _very_ active trying to calm down the
riots.

In the mix, it is of course possible to find a bad muslim, just as it
is possible to find extreme rightist looking for a fight, or leftists
wanting to destabilize Sarkozy.

Are these days specials? Well, yes and no. Look at this

http://www.regards.fr/archives/1995/199507/199507cit01.html

"Violences, émeutes, vandalisme, incendies, bavures policières,
morts..."

"Violences, riots, vandalism, arson, police fuckups, deaths..."

Sounds familiar? That was written 10 years ago, in 1995, about the
locations that make the news today. Nothing is really new.

The problem is essentially a socio-economical issue in France.
Gettho-ized poverty, combined with a government that failed about
everything it promised and back-pedaled on social reforms. It has very
little to do with the big "Good vs Evil" wars some US pundits like to
see everywhere.

A good, balanced, analysis can be found here

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9938405/site/newsweek/

--
Best regards,
 Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com