funsec mailing list archives

Re: Is RCE of malware illegal?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:51:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Florian Weimer wrote:

* Gadi Evron:

Pierre Vandevenne wrote:
Good Afternoon,
Essentially faith based hex to knowledge transubstantiation.
Multi sunt vocati, pauci vero electi.

transub-a-what?

Long words.. need .. beer!

As long it's not wine.

Transubstantiation refers to the belief that on particular occasions,
wafers turn in to a pieces of human corpse and wine into human blood.
Ingesting this stuff used to be quite popular over here, but nowadays,
only few are left who do it regularly.

When I was at college, I was a lone jew (well, not quite lone, but this
was Cambridge Uni, so fairly sparse, I think) amongst a desert of
christians. Except I'd stopped being a jew some years previously, on the
grounds that it all seemed pretty silly, and anyway, who would worship a
god that habitually committed genocide? Anyway, I got visited by a series
of evangelists who had got bitten by the "Go out and convert the heathen"
bug, and were delighted to find a suitable victim right on their doorstep,
no need to follow in the steps of Livingstone, and were usually of the
opinion that all they needed to do was tell me the Good News, and I'd leap
into the arms of Jesus. You can guess which way I actually leapt.

Anyway, one of them finally pesuaded me to go to chapel, or church, or
whatever it was, I forget which version of Christianity it was, on the
grounds that it would be a new experience for me. Since it wasn't a new
experience in the same sense that jumping off a high building would be, I
thought I'd tag along.

So, they had this ceremony, with singing, and talking, and some of it I
could almost understand, and some of it I couldn't, and then they got to
the part "This is the body and blood of Christ ..." and gave me a bit to
eat. So I said, "You mean, this symbolises ..", having read up on
consubstantiation and impanation, as I'm sure everyone does, but they
said, "No, it turns into ..."  evidently being fans of transubstantiation.
So I said "But that's cannibalism. Eating people is wrong (a direct quote
from the Flanders and Swann song)"

http://www.thurb.com/humour/cannibal.htm

The ensuing discussion was quite fun. And at one point, the guy who'd
persuaded me to attend the ceremony, said to the vicar (or priest, or
minister, I don't remember his job title), "My friend, he's a, a , um,
he's, um, of the Hebrew persuasion", which got right up my nose, so I
said, loudly and clearly, "No, I'm a Jew", and everyone stopped chatting
and turned to stare at us.

And I never got asked again.