funsec mailing list archives

ISS: Pot, kettle, black, etc..

From: "Fergie (Paul Ferguson)" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:43:04 GMT

How do ya like them apples? I seem to recall ISS was itself
involved in the whole sordid "Ciscogate" embroglio...

Via SC Magazine:

[snip]

Cisco and Oracle have been panned by a security expert for dealing with software vulnerabilities and putting users at
risk.

Johan Beckers, director of technology solutions at Internet Security Systems (ISS) singled out the two companies when
talking at a Network and Security event in Capri, Italy.

"Let me put it this way," he said. "There are some companies that do not respond to us finding vulnerabilities in their
software in the right way. They still think we are the enemy. I would say Cisco and Oracle have problems in this area."

ISS runs a vulnerability research team that works with a number of enterprise companies to find vulnerabilities in its
software before hackers do. According to Beckers not all companies are as lax as Cisco and Oracle, and he singled out
Microsoft for particular praise.

ISS was at the event peddling its Proventia security appliances which protect against viruses, spam and malware.

[snip]

http://www.scmagazine.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=newsDetails&newsUID=77789754-705d-4f65-85f3-3e2cd713e938&newsType=Latest%20News

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net