funsec mailing list archives

Re: A campus-wide 24/7 WiFi tracking network now in place atMIT

From: Tom Van Vleck <thvv () multicians org>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:43:24 -0500

On Nov 4, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Richard M. Smith wrote:

Very easy, but unnecessary. The new RFID passports will come with their own
tinfoil shields built into the covers.  An RFID passport will only be
readbale when it is opened up.

O sure Richard, that's what they are *telling* you.
These are the same guys who also say that the current
"threat level" is YELLOW WITH ORANGE POLKADOTS.
Tinfoil, yeah.

Anyway I think we are looking at the hole instead of the donut.
RFID is just one way of getting information.  It has the drawback
that you have to modify the thing you are getting information
about.  Face recognition may be a joke now but so were
personal computers once.   People can be identified visually,
by smell, by gait, etc. without asking them to carry anything.
(People can do it, dogs can do it, computers will eventually.)
If "they" can read a license plate from orbit now, how long
before they can identify people?