funsec mailing list archives

Re: The solution to Phishing

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:13:19 +1300

Craig Webster to Blanchard_Michael () emc com:

 The banks should send out bogus messages just like a real phishing
attack
and set up a bogus web site that looks just like their real one.  If a
customer logs into that site from the phishing e-mail, their internet
banking privledges are revoked for 30 days.  If it happens again,
their
internet privledges are revoked completely.

  Done and dusted... Kinda like darwinism with a second chance on
life ;-)

Won't the victim be lulled into a false sense of security?
"Oh, if I enter my account details on the wrong site it's just a 30
day ban..."
*bam* no pennies left.

Nah -- that's just "faster Darwinism"...

Face it -- some people really are just too stupid to be allowed to do
some things (Dubya, president; thousands involved in self-inflicted,
non-deliberate gun injuries  per year, gun ownership/access; persistent
drunks, driving, etc, etc, etc).  We don't need a perfectly safe
banking system -- we need a banking system that is "safe enough".

The _real problem_ (and the one that really bothers me) is how much is
it costing me (in terms of extra %'age on my CC interest rate and/or
extra %'age on my mortagage and/or in inflated monthly account charges
or in reduced %'age interest on my savings, etc, etc) to support the
current level of stupidity?

I mean, no-one here is gullible enough to believe that the banks
actually _lose_ anything from all the identity fraud, etc we are
(collectively) suffering, right?

So, how much is it costing _me_ to support the current level of idiot
allowed to use the currently very weak online banking, sales, etc
business?

I'd be much happier if I could easily find the comparative monetary
cost of what is currently the banks, CC companies, etc deciding that
current practice is (near enough to) "safe enough"...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald