funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: [mwp] phishing stats in Washington Post

From: TheGesus <thegesus () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:40:30 -0400

On 10/24/05, Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
Funny how May 2004 coincides with CitiBank's introduction of those cutesy
"identity theft" TV commercials in the US.
It's like they were begging for it.

You know they are, by some measures, the largest consumer bank in the US,
and definitely among the big three (Chase, BofA, Citi). I would think that's
what matters to someone engaging in a phishing attack rather than some dare.

What I mean is, the awareness they cultivated with the TV commercials
worked against them, making their customers more likely to click the
link in the email thinking it was a legitimate part of Citi's
"identity theft protection".

Not a "dare".