funsec mailing list archives

Re: Mortgage.com Notifies Customers of Data Privacy Breach

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:42:49 GMT

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to hear they found it. :-)

- ferg

-- Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:

Fergie wrote:

Many times after we run a story, Security Fix readers write in to
tell us about related incidents. This morning I received an e-mail
from a Virginia woman who was recently notified by her mortgage
company that it had somehow lost track of a backup tape containing
the names, account information, payment history and Social Security
numbers of more than 2 million customers.

The company -- Troy, Mich.-based ABN-AMRO Mortgage -- said the tape
was lost while being transported by a DHL courier en route to credit
reporting company Experian.

And the tape has been found at the same DHL depot.

A letter dated Dec 16 2005 "We are writing to let you know that a
computer tape containing information about you and your mortgage account
with ABN AMRO Mortgage Group, Inc. has been lost while being transported
by DHL courier service to a credit reporting company".

A follow-up dated Dec 22 2005 "I am happy to tell you that this tape has
been found in the same DHL facility from which it was last tracked.  DHL
told us that the package was found without the original airbill".

Jeff (a customer)

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net