funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who is snooping on my email?

From: Thorsten Fischer <thorsten () irmplc com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:21:34 +0000

Richard M. Smith wrote:
Hello,
> [...] some folks might now be wondering if they are being
> snooped on.  Here's a quick and easy method to see if one's
> email messages are being read by someone else.

But does that actually serve as a proper way to verify whether my mails are eavesdropped on? Because, if my web server is _not_ visited it does not mean that my email is _not_ read by someone else.

Of course one could try to make the link look so incredibly interesting that the person sniffing the mails could not resist checking it :)

And if I interpret recent events correctly, the second email provider does not necessarily have to be based outside the US ... but that's my twisted perception from the other side of the planet.

Cheers,