funsec mailing list archives

RE: Hey old people

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:04:38 -0500

WOW - just discovered edlin exists on my win2k and XP Pro boxes - never
even thought to look for it!

Yes and you'll see debug and probably some other stuff. This has a lot to do
with the stdin/stdout redirecting that Nick mentioned. A lot of batch file
programming was done using that for self-modification, especially for PCMag
utilities, and I'm sure those programs are in there for backward
compatibility.

BTW, I see EXE2BIN.EXE is still in XP Pro, along with other obsolete
programs like JAVA.EXE.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/