funsec mailing list archives

RE: Getting consumers' consent to sell cellphone trackin g data

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:44:42 -0500

 it's the principle that it sets.  I don't want any date of mine of any kind
sent to anyone that I don't know it's being sent to.  Usually if I'm asked,
I'll refuse the request anyway, so they might as well make it an OPT in
system and see how many people actually sign up.

  In any case, I smell a class action lawsuit coming quickly...  If they can
send my position to anyone they wish without saying who I am, they can
certainly just as easy send who I am along with that info.

  All the more reason that I have the GPS "feature" of my cell phone turned
off.  If I could destroy it, the GPS feature, I certainly would.  This is
also the same reason that I have my Onstar unplugged too.  I'm not paying
for it, so why have it turned on to begin with... The theives that stole my
truck showed me how to disable OnStar very easily (well, they showed me
indirectly when I saw how they did it when I got my truck back), so I keep
it unplugged....

  Nope, I have ZERO to hide, I am not a criminal by any means.... I just
*really* disapprove of Big Brother watching... Unless I'M the big brother
that's doing the watching on my network, etc ;-)

 Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, MCSE, MCP+I
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580
email:  Blanchard_Michael () EMC COM