funsec mailing list archives

How the MPAA killed the movie theater experience [Was: RE: Ma crovision Shares Fall on RipGuard Review]

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:58:22 GMT

Not your week, eh? What about the Canadian Government? ;-)

Speaking of Canada, back to the topic at hand....

I read a note in PoliTech earlier this month from a Toronto
journalist  James Reid, who explains his experience with the
Gestapo-style tactics used by the film industry at a recent
screening of a film he was invited to attend by his girlfriend
(another Toronto journalist). And I have to tell ya, Hollywood
is is getting way, way out of hand.

If there is any question in the minds of the doubtful regarding
how the MPAA and other film industry strong-arm organizations
have lost touch with reality, please read this.

Not only were they searched before entering the theater
(women's purses, as well as metal detection wand body scan),
a couple of security guards intimidated the audience during
the entire screening with video cameras, obviously intending
to remind them that they were being watched for "criminal
behavior".

This is getting waaaaaay out of hand....

And they wonder why theater ticket sales are declining?

http://www.politechbot.com/2005/11/04/how-the-mpaa/

- ferg

-- Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

 yah, not my week I guess ;-)

  I guess the movie studios should lower the rent of the reels to the
theaters, but then the theaters would just keep ticket prices the same and
enjoy the extra profit...

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net