funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nematodes: The Making of 'Beneficial' Network Worms

From: Dude <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:38:02 -0600

Ja, patching your systems would seem to be a better idea ;)

- -JP

Roland Dobbins wrote:

Concur.  I respect Dave Aitel, but he's just dead wrong about this,  IMHO.

On Oct 6, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

Of course, this is not news to any of you who follow the
"Daily Dave" mailing list.

And for the record, I think it is a really bad idea.

Via eWeek:

[snip]

Convinced that businesses will use nonmalicious worms to cut down  on
network security costs, a high-profile security researcher is  pushing
ahead with a new framework for creating a "controlled worm"  that can
be used for beneficial purposes.

Dave Aitel, vulnerability researcher at New York-based Immunity  Inc.,
unveiled a research-level demo of the "Nematode" framework at  the
Hack In The Box confab in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, insisting  that good
worms will become an important part of an organization's  security
strategy.

"We're trying to change the way people think," Aitel said in an
interview with Ziff Davis Internet News. "We don't want people to
think this is impossible. It's entirely possible to create and use
beneficial worms and it's something businesses will be deploying in
the future."

For years, security experts have debated the concept of using good
worms to seek and destroy malicious worms. Some believe that it's
time to use the worms' tactics against them and build good worms  that
fix problems but the chaos and confusion associated with self-
propelled replicating programs have left others unconvinced.

Aitel is among those who believe it is "inevitable" that worm
technology can significantly reduce the cost of disinfecting and
maintaining a corporate network.

[snip]

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things.

                      -- Doug Gwyn