funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK tops zombie PC chart (again)

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:38:39 +0100 (BST)

Britain is once again 'top of the bots' with the world's highest
proportion of known bot-infected computers. In the first half of 2005,
The UK has almost a third (32 per cent) of all bots – virus-infected,
zombie PCs under the control of hackers and used for malicious purposes
such as identity theft and spam distribution –. Britain also topped the
chart in the second half of last year with a lower 26 per cent rating.

Sings Jerusalem<

For Americans and Israelis who don't know, that's our National Song, and
bit like the American "My country tis of thee" (which they sing to the
tune of God Save the Queen), "German, German overalls" or "Advance
Australia fair"

Symantec reckons the likely cause of this rise is down to the rapid
growth in broadband subscriptions and the delayed download of software
patches for operating systems and software.

I think there's rather a lot of broadband here, and I doubt if home
computer users download patches.