funsec mailing list archives

Re: Malicious code could trick ZoneAlarm firewall

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:11:45 -0700

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:
Via C|Net News:

[snip]

Malicious code masquerading as a trusted application could trick a firewall from ZoneAlarm into

I understand the thing about a security product trying to stop something, and failing. And reporting that. (Vuln reporting, not neccessarily news reporting.) If you try, and you fail, then you lost. Even if what you were trying was silly. I've called products out on the same sort of thing myself.

In this case, I think what ZA is trying is a tad on the silly side. You're talking a piece of malicious code is already running on your box, and you're going to try to keep it from getting to the Internet. I guess for granny, there is some utility. For me, I'm too much of a fatalist, I guess. If it's already running there, then it's game over.

                                        BB