funsec mailing list archives

Verton on Schneier

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rslade () sprint ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:38:52 -0800

www.itsecuritymagazine.com/its/Editors%20Desk/verton_opinion_schneier_09150
5.htm

Bruce Schneier: Wrong About Katrina, Wrong About Terrorism

First off, no amount of money could have made up for the leadership
failure at all levels of government that led to the post-Katrina
response disaster.

I think we may have read different articles by Schneier.  The one that I read did
not imply that throwing money at the problem would fix it: it said that the money
that had been spent had been spent incorrectly.

Mr. Schneier wants Americans to believe that terrorists and hurricanes
are alike, and that if we can properly prepare for one we will be
prepared for the other.

Schneier said that after a hurricane landfall you have destruction and people who
are shocked, dismayed, and need help, and that after a terrorist attack you have
destruction and people who are shocked, dismayed, and need help.  It may seem
odd to Mr. Verton, but this appears to be true in many cases.

Finally, hurricanes are not gathering in far away places conspiring to
acquire weapons of mass destruction and planning ways to smuggle those
weapons into the United States.

But hurricanes do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in the Bermuda
Triangle.  Perhaps Mr. Verton should devote some time looking into this issue.  It
would seem to be as conducive to productive thought as the material he has
created so far.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
   Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade