funsec mailing list archives

Re: recorded key clicks a security risk?

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:32:12 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:17:03 -0500
To: funsec () linuxbox org
From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () iastate edu>
Subject: [funsec] recorded key clicks a security risk?

Does this article seem plausible? If so, it adds a new security risk
that I had never considered.

Plausible?  Depends on your threat model.  (You *DO* have one, right?)

The attack has been around since the early '60s...  Was reputedly
developed by the Soviets, but I think I read somewhere that the Brits
also used something similar against the Nazis.  (but I could be wrong -
see .sig)

Things like this is why there are Technical Security Countermeasure
people...  And why they do 'sweeps' looking to detect, nullify, and
isolate eavesdropping devices, wiretaps, bugging devices, technical
surveillance penetrations, technical surveillance hazards, and physical
security weaknesses. This also includes bug detection, bug sweep, and
wiretap detection services.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

http://www.securityfocus.net/news/11318

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin