funsec mailing list archives

Re: Interesting: Tracking the Evacuation of Hurricane Rita

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:09:57 +1200

ferg wrote:

Wow.

[snip]

As I posted here, my brother and his family are enroute from their
home in League City, TX to our home in Austin. They left their house
yesterday at 7:00 p.m.

Total distance driven: 109 miles
Total time of drive: 13 hours

[snip]

Wow.

http://urbangrounds.com/2005/09/22/tracking-the-evacution-of-hurricane-rita/

That matches very closely with the experiences of a New Zealander I
heard interviewed by phone on local TV a couple of hours ago.  At the
time of the interview it was 14 hours since he left Galveston (or just
North of there -- I forget the placename he said) and they had covered
just over 100 miles.  He said the whole evacuation was being hindered
by the gas shortages and cars running out of gas on the freeways.
During the worst of the snarl-ups he said many folk were turning their
engines off despite the heat (close to 100F) and when actually moving
they weren't using their air-con, both to save gas consumption.  He
also said that many folk with small cars or large numbers of people in
their vehicles were simply pushing their cars when in the big snarls
and only inching along.  Also, there are no toilet facilities so people
are just getting out of their cars and going along the sides of the
freeways -- that will likely present an interesting polution issue of
its in the post-event clean-up...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald