Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: over 2000 packages depend on abort()ing libgmp

From: Georgi Guninski <gguninski () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 08:39:43 +0300

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 6:44 AM Matthew Fernandez
<matthew.fernandez () gmail com> wrote:

What is the security boundary being violated here? As a maintainer of
some of the packages implicated here, I’m unsure what my actionable
tasks are. The threat model(s) for my packages does not consider crashes
to be a security violation. On the other side, things like crypto code
frequently use their own non-GMP implementation of bignum arith for this
(and other) reason.

Observe that ubuntu issue advisory about libgmp crash
without mentioning potential exploitability.

quote:
https://ubuntu.com/security/notices/USN-5672-1

Details

It was discovered that GMP did not properly manage memory
on 32-bit platforms when processing a specially crafted
input. An attacker could possibly use this issue to cause
applications using GMP to crash, resulting in a denial of
service.