Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 360 security android app snoops data to China Unicom network via insecure HTTP

From: seclists () email tg
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 23:01:26 +0000

Hi Craig,

As was suggested by Daniel (http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2017/May/9) , I installed the 360 Security app on
BlueStacks Android emulator and captured HTTP packets exchanged by this app via Wireshark. Below is a screenshot from
the Network Connections app running on BlueStacks showing the 360 Security connections that it was able to detect:
From the Wireshark capture, following are the HTTP GET and GET response details for the IP addresses, along with their
WHOIS links:

54.192.117.107: (https://whois.domaintools.com/54.192.117.107)
103.235.46.231: (https://whois.domaintools.com/103.235.46.231)
Subsequently, I closed BlueStacks and re-opened it again and monitored the 360 security app connections via Network
Connections app and HTTP packets via WireShark. Below is a screenshot from the Network Connections app showing the 360
Security connections that it was able to detect this time:
From the Wireshark capture, following are the HTTP GET and GET response details for the IP addresses, along with their
WHOIS links:

54.192.117.89: (https://whois.domaintools.com/54.192.117.89)
52.74.202.248: (https://whois.domaintools.com/52.74.202.248)
112.80.248.28: (https://whois.domaintools.com/112.80.248.28)
103.235.46.231: (https://whois.domaintools.com/103.235.46.231)
As can be seen from the above screenshots from both the sessions the
"lg=en&cn=us&vc=2284&uv=100&cid=104488&img_size=1&length=5&install_time=1494173731" string input as a parameter in the
HTTP GET requests to update-cloud.i.360overseas.com IP addresses uniquely identifies the instance of 360 security app
installed on the device and hence the device. So, anyone monitoring the insecure HTTP packets exchanged with
update-cloud.i.360overseas.com IP addresses can easily track the IP addresses used by the device, which is a huge
privacy risk. Also, the insecure HTTP packets exchanged with Baidu IP addresses in HongKong, bdimg.com IP addresses in
China and update.i.360overseas.com IP addresses in Singapore expose the IP address used by the device as using the 360
security app, in those foreign countries. I think, this vulnerability deserves a CVE in the NVD database
(https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search).

The Wireshark packet captures for both the sessions are attached below.

Thanks.