Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Critical Vulnerability in Ubiquiti UniFi

From: Gregory Sloop <gregs () sloop net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 09:03:16 -0700

So, while I've not attempted to reproduce the "exploit"* POC below, I have some observations/questions.

The exploit, if I'm reading things correctly depends on MongoDB being configured to accept remote database connections.
Yet, at least on Ubuntu [the vendor recommended Linux distro], it's only configured to accept connections from
127.0.0.1. [bind_ip = 127.0.0.1]

So, it's not a remote exploit - in at least this case. [I suspect that's the usual config elsewhere too, so I suspect
it's fair to say, it's not remote in virtually all cases.]

I suppose it means that if you have a valid account on the same box as Unifi+MongoDB is installed on, you could get
admin in Unifi. [Which admittedly sucks.]

But given the fairly limited nature of the "bug"* a CVSS score of 8.8 seems excessive.
[*I think allowing remote DB access would break the security model the app is designed to run in, and so the results
when you allow remote DB access are going to be ugly - that seems a given, and which might also explain Ubiquiti's
response.]

But perhaps I misunderstand something/everything. If so, I'm glad to hear the explanation.