Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 'Rowhammer' - Software-triggered DRAM corruption

From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx () webweaving org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:32:03 +0100

On 13 Mar 2015, at 11:32, fulldisclosure <fulldisclosure () evolution-hosting eu> wrote:

Am 12.03.2015 um 21:31 schrieb Aris Adamantiadis:
Le 12/03/15 17:00, Nick Boyce a écrit :

Also, this may only affect SODIMMs, not DIMMs, as Google was only able
to make the attack work on laptops - desktop machines so far remaining
unaffected.

[I *knew* it was a good idea to hang on to that old Athlon XP desktop :-)]

There are countless reports of the attack working on desktops. It worked
on one of the two non-ecc desktops I've tried it on. It's an AMD FX 8150.

It's not dependend on the processor, it's the ram-design thats vulnerable.

If you use ECC chips, you should be safe, thats why cheap hw hosters are
now in trouble, and professionsal server hw hosters not.

Until we find solid evidence of two bit-flips introduced in the same board; which is,
given the ease of 1 bit ‘squared’ certainly in the lab within reach.

Over time - attacks always get stronger, never less potent.

Dw.