Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Public WiFi Pcaps

From: Wesley Spikes <wesley.spikes () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 16:03:32 -0700

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Bryan Bickford <bryan () unhwildhats com>
wrote:

I am starting some wifi research and had questions about the legality of
listening to unencrypted, public wifi data and publishing subsequent
research.

It goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyways -- you would do
well talking to a lawyer before starting your data collection.

I have seen debates about whether an unencrypted access point (e.g.
starbucks) qualifies under this exception. Is there any concrete legal
precedent that defines this either way?

The only one I can think of is the google street view case, and they lost.
http://epic.org/privacy/streetview/

IANAL, but in the linked article, they linked a decision from the Ninth
Circuit:

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2013/12/27/11-17483_opinion122713.pdf

It's been a while since I've read this decision throughly, so I'll just
refer to the summary of judgement on the second page:

In the amended opinion,
the panel held that data transmitted over a Wi-Fi network is
not a “radio communication” exempt from the Wiretap Act
under 18 U.S.C. § 2511(2)(g)(i) as an “electronic
communication” that is “readily accessible to the general
public.”

Now, as I understand it, this is technically only legally binding to the
states to which the Ninth Circuit holds jurisdiction. However, from what
I've seen, a court will often look to other courts opinions where possible.
Buyer beware?

-Spikes