Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Master Lock random key code generation/distribution Fails

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:17:01 -0500

On 03/26/2014 05:03 PM, Jon Hart wrote:
This is definitely an interesting finding.  I'll admit that I don't know
what the key code actually does or how it is used, but at the risk of
stating the obvious this is physical world equivalent of problems we face
daily in the infosec field -- randomization is hard, small key spaces are
bad, and vendors will continue to make this mistake (hopefully) until it is
disclosed.

-jon
Jon,

The key code is used to identify locks that share the same key. For a pin tumbler lock, it usually corresponds exactly to the height of each of the pins in order. So the key code 2685 in the image probably looks something like this:

|^\
|..|
|..\___
|......|