Full Disclosure mailing list archives

chatcrypt.com insecure, bad setup for secure chat

From: johan nestaas <johannestaas () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:16:52 -0700

A very popular hit when googling "encrypted chat"... I took a look and
there were several problems.

Everything is served through HTTP, including the crypto javascript. An
attacker who can MITM can send malicious javascript that simply does not
encrypt. It pings the service every 500 ms with the room and username
you are using in plaintext.

Tbh I stopped looking at that point, but there's no mention of an
integrity check or authenticity check either, which is essential for AES
communication.

Even if SSL is enabled, the server can still be hacked or just be evil
and serve malicious javascript if that does get fixed, but nothing new
there.

cheers,
Johan