Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Beginner's error: import function of Windows Mail executes rogue program C:\Program.exe with credentials of other account

From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak () nexgo de>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:50:19 +0200

Gynvael Coldwind wrote:

Well it was discussed a couple of times recently on FD that this is a bug,
but it's not a privilege escalation.
If you are admin (and you did mention that it's a prerequisite) you can
execute code as other users anyway - so there's no *escalation* here.

Therefore it's not a security bug (unless you are using a super old version
of Windows with incorrect ACLs on c:\, which sounds like a bug in itself),
just a "normal" bug.
Not sure if FD is the right place for non-security bugs tbh.

If these bugs were no security bugs: why does Microsoft then publish fixes
for (at least some of) them via MSRC bulletins and Windows Update?

See <https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms13-058.aspx>
or <https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms13-034.aspx>

Or pulls drivers whose setup routines show these bugs from Windows Update?

See <http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2014/May/40>

Also try to see these bugs as a blended threat:

* during Windows setup Microsoft still creates all user accounts as
  administrators.

* Microsoft sells its unsuspecting users UAC as a security feature, but does
  NOT inform them (or at least does not inform Joe Average) that UAC is not
  a security boundary and they should better use a restricted^Wstandard user
  account instead of the administrator account created during setup.

* Joe Average will happily give consent to any program which presents an UAC
  prompt to him: he wants to get his work done, and this UAC prompt is just
  an annoyance. BTW: when Windows asks him for consent, this must be right?

regards
Stefan

Cheers,