Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Legality of Open Source Tools

From: Brandon Perry <bperry.volatile () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 13:29:23 -0500

If I recall correctly, version 1 of metasploit actually had exploits for
*live* sites (a bank) and things, so that is obviously an issue. I don't
even think you will find a copy of the first version of metasploit (does HD
have one locked up somewhere, who knows).

Currently, metasploit is a hammer. People kill other people with hammers,
but they build substantially more things than people killed.

I think you need to define what sort of legal troubles you expect with open
source projects. CFAA-type legal troubles, or licensing (GPL vs MIT/BSD)
legal troubles.

Pretty sure source code is considered free speech. So I don't think you can
be held accountable for source code that you release *that you wrote
yourself*.