Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Request for short subject lines / titles on FD

From: Hurgel Bumpf <l0rd_lunatic () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:44:11 +0100 (BST)

Hello List,

i really appreaciate most content sent to this list but it seems the length of the subject line is growing. Sometimes
you even have to scroll to see what the email is about..

imho this is really unproductive and leads to unread important emails.

Dear advisory writers, this is not a good title:

[SECURITY] [ALERT] [SOMECRAPPYNUMBER] [CVE-2013-12-23] typo3 security exploit

because FD will extend your Subject to

[Full-disclosure] [SECURITY] [ALERT] [SOMECRAPPYNUMBER] [CVE-2013-12-23] typo3 security exploit

and this really sucks...

It would be really great to short the titles to the crux of the matter, or, if you at least could write stuff that
matters first.

Like "typo3 security exploit" and burry the rest inside of the e-mail.

Do you really need a CVE number in the subject?

Doesn't a CVE number implicitly represent a security issue?

So why bother putting another [SECURITY] in the title?

Second, dear John, i know you will reject that but.... could we reduce the [full-disclosure] in the beginning to [FD] ?

This would really help reading FD on handhelds and terminals and help reducing the low subject space to the max.

I would be happy to read your opinion about that.

Thanks,

Conan The Bavarian