Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [CVE-2013-6356] Avira Secure Backup v1.0.0.1 Multiple Registry Key Value Parsing Local Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

From: Julien Ahrens <info () rcesecurity com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:46:01 +0100

From a technical point of view, it's a vulnerability because you can
gain control of EIP.

The reason why a victim would probably import an arbitrary .reg file is
the same as why he would use a .wav file from an untrusted source, which
exploits a flaw in the installed .wav converter. If you can convince
(social-engineer) your victim, because of a lack of knowledge, this
scenario would work.

But I was thinking about another attack scenario: Imagine that you have
already access to the victim's computer - then you could use this flaw
to place a backdoor-shellcode (e.g. a reverse shell) into the registry,
which is executed every time the application starts - by default: on
startup. Since the application does not validate the values from the
registry (and does not remove them too), you've got some kind of
persistent code execution.

Regards.