Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Outlook Vulnerability: S/MIMELossof Integrity

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:17:06 -0400

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM, ACROS Security Lists <lists () acros si> wrote:
Valdis,

No, that's how to do it *hardline*.  There's many in the
security industry that will explain to you that it's also
doing it *wrong*.  Hint - the first time that HR sends out a
posting about a 3-day window next week to change your
insurance plan without penalty, signs it with something that
doesn't match the From:, and the help desk is deluged by
phone calls from employees who can't read the mail, the guy
who put "You shall not pass" in place will be starting a job hunt.

If there was an industry standard specifying the you-shall-not-pass for all web
browsers, it wouldn't be the guy (developer) who put this roadblock in place that
would start a job hunt but someone within the company whose job was to avoid the
roadblock by making sure the cert that HR is using was okay. That would happen a
couple of times, and then not any more, as people have great capacity for learning.

... If I get an encrypted
message that was mistakenly not encrypted with my key, it would be very productive to
have a "Just decrypt anyway" button but we obviously don't have that. ...
A lot of folks would like to have that button ;)

Jeff