Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: VLC media player MKV Parsing POC

From: Źmicier Januszkiewicz <gauri () tut by>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:56:14 +0200

Mario,

As far as I see, the code snippet provided (the only insn) dereferences an
attacker-controlled value. What happens next is not really clear since it
is only one insn in the dump and I am too lazy to actually install VLC and
dig in, but it shows that you can at least control the contents of ECX.

If Kaveh would be so kind as to post the following insns in the stream, we
could see what this may lead to. If the next insn is, say, CALL [EDX+10h],
well, there you go -- you own the control flow.