Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WordPress User Account Information Leak / Secunia Advisory SA23621

From: Harry Metcalfe <harry () dxw com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 14:34:50 +0100

There have been many heated debates within the community about this issue. Unfortunately, I think a different outcome is unlikely.

WordPress's position is (I think) that usernames aren't secret, and that therefore, username enumeration is a non-problem. I think this is extremely wrong, but it is what it is.

We solve this problem with a plugin that changes the login messages and ensures that invalid usernames will prepopulate the form, as well as valid ones.

We also look for [?|&]a=\d in the URL and remove any matches before the request hits apache, so that attackers can't run through ?a=1, ?a=2 etc looking for redirects to author pages (which include usernames in the URL_.

I've attached the relevant code, but it would need a little work in order to run outside our infrastructure. It is a bit fragile, and would need to be changed if WordPress's login errors changed - currently, there is not a more robust way to do it, as far as we know. Feedback welcome if anyone knows of a better way!

Harry
http://security.dxw.com