Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Student expelled from Montreal college after finding vulnerability that compromised security of 250, 000

From: Dan Ballance <tzewang.dorje () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:00:56 +0000

It depends on what your objective is. If it is to educate young people and
help them to develop into responsible adults,  then I think exclusion was
the wrong choice. It seems likely to me that by excluding this young person
they are just creating the next hacker to go and work for some dodgey
organised crime outfit. Why not have a security team that consists of staff
and volunteer students who together could assess network security? It
sounds like he has an interest in security topics. Imho educators are there
to inspire and channel young people - even young people who are wandering
into difficult territory. Anyways, that's my take it :)