Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wordpress Pingback Port Scanner

From: Grandma Eubanks <tborland1 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:03:36 -0600

From a quick couple minute cursory check, I do not see how login checks
differ from regular login and xmlrpc in regards to when a login limit
plugin is used.
Example is wordpress 3.5 and limit-login-attempts plugin.

wordpress 3.5 (class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php):
function login( $username, $password ) {

        $user = wp_authenticate($username, $password);

        if (is_wp_error($user)) {
            $this->error = new IXR_Error( 403, __( 'Incorrect username or
password.' ) );
            $this->error = apply_filters( 'xmlrpc_login_error',
$this->error, $user );
            return false;
        }

        wp_set_current_user( $user->ID );
        return $user;
    }

Wordpress 3.5 (wp-includes/pluggable.php):
function wp_authenticate($username, $password) {
        $username = sanitize_user($username);
        $password = trim($password);

        $user = apply_filters('authenticate', null, $username, $password);

        return $user;
}

limit-login-attempts (limit-login-attempts.php):
    add_action('wp_authenticate', 'limit_login_track_credentials', 10, 2);

And the xmprpc functions seem to check authentication before proceeding,
hitting this function anyway. Of course, it seems XFF might be fun in the
limit plugin, but that's another story.