Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: how to sell and get a fair price

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:23:59 -0500

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Nick FitzGerald
<nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:
Jeffrey Walton wrote:

Sometimes the publisher cannot protect the identity of an anonymous
author.  ...

That may be true -- I don't know...

...  The real Rex Feral was dragged into court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_Man:_A_Technical_Manual_for_Independent_Contractors

...but that claim is not supported by your reference.

The Wikipedia article simply does not address whether the pseudonymous
author's real identity was exposed in the legal preceedings or not.
Note that the case was "Rice v Paladin Enterprises" and the legal claim
was that Paladin (the _publishers_) aided and abetted a murder.
Oh, my bad. That was the book which caused the subsequent court
actions, and not a normative reference to loss of anonymity.

Presumably (again, IANAL) they could have brought a similar suit
against the author, but saw the publisher as having deeper pockets (and
perhaps reasonably assumed, or even knew, that the publisher would have
extensive commercial insurance to cover any damages ruling they may
receive if their case prevailed).

I seem to recall two or three things from the Montgomery County
murders (its a county close to where I live, so I watched the American
Justice episode).

The publisher indemnified the author. The publisher was not able to
retain anonymity for Rex Feral. In fact, I seem to recall an excerpt
of the court proceedings with the lady on the stand.

Jeff