Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Accounts Security Vulnerability

From: Ferenc Kovacs <tyra3l () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:46:23 +0200

I don't know much about the verification mentioned here, but google/gmail
has a 2-step verification, which solves the problem a little bit better imo.
When you try to log in from a new computer you will be prompted for a code
which is sent via sms to your phone.
And that is the only place where you can log in with your google user+pass,
every other application requires an application specific password, which
can be only generated after you successfully log in into the web
interface(with an exception: I remember that trying to add my google
account to my android phone triggered an application specific password to
be sent via sms)..
So if the 2-step verification is turned on, you won't compromise your
account instantly, the attacker has to have access either to your phone, or
a device which is already on your trusted device list..
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175197
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Thor (Hammer of God)