Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The Mystery of the Duqu Framework

From: Laurelai <laurelai () oneechan org>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:40:14 -0600

On 3/10/12 2:16 PM, William Pitcock wrote:
On 3/10/2012 9:00 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
On 03/10/2012 03:51 AM, fd () deserted net wrote:

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/667/The_Mystery_of_the_Duqu_Framework

Haven't seen this (or much discussion around this) here yet, so I
figured I'd share.

     From the description, it looks like someone pushed some code from a
Lisp[1] variant (like Common Lisp, which is preprocesed into ANSI C by
GCL, for example, before compilation) into a C++ DLL. Normal in the
deper end of Linux dev or Hurd communities, but definitely not standard
practice in any established industry that makes use of Windows.

I could be wrong, I didn't take the time to walk myself through the
decompile with any thoroughness and compare it to code I generate.
Anyway, I have no idea the differences between how VC++ and g++ do
things -- so my analysis would probably be trash. But from the way the
Mr. Soumenkov describes things it seems this, or something similar,
could be the case and why the code doesn't conform to what's expected in
a C++ binary.

LISP would refer to specific constructor/destructor vtable entries as
"cons" and there would be no destructor at all.  The structs use vtables
which refer to "ctor" and "dtor", which indicates that the vtables were
most likely generated using a C++ compiler (since that is standard
nomenclature for C++ compiler symbols).  It pretty much has to be
Microsoft COM.  The struct layouts pretty much *reek* of Microsoft COM
when used with a detached vtable (such as if the implementation is
loaded from a COM object file).  The fact that specific vtable entries
aren't mangled is also strong evidence of it being Microsoft COM (since
there is no need to mangle vtable entries of a COM object due to type
information already being known in the COM object).

If it looks like COM, smells like COM, and acts like COM, then it's
probably COM.  It certainly isn't "some new programming language" like
Kaspersky says.  That's just the dumbest thing I've heard this year.

William

I think William just told everyone...again.