Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Linux - Indicators of compromise

From: Gary Baribault <gary () baribault net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:48:05 -0400

I suggest one of the first answers was the good one, intercept the
traffic routed to the internet with TCPDump. Filter out the normal
traffic and see what's left. All compromised systems talk to the
Internet to dump data or route spam. Be patient, some systems talk all
the time, some once an hour .. but you will find some unexplained
traffic. Once you do find that you're infected, don't bother cleaning up
the system, format and restore the data!

Gary Baribault
Courriel: gary () baribault net
GPG Key: 0x685430d1
Signature: 9E4D 1B7C CB9F 9239 11D9 71C3 6C35 C6B7 6854 30D1