Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 89, Issue 15 suspicion of rootkit (Alexandru Balan)

From: phocean <0x90 () phocean net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:47:53 +0200

Yes, maybe WinDbg… Not that I am confortable with WinDBG, but certainly a good chance to learn and get more familiar.

However:

- Volatility: anything has to sit somehow in the memory, so there is no way for it to escape from the analysis. It has
all advantages of offline analysis. I don't think Volatility is script kiddy stuff. I think it is a great tool and
should be enough for my concern.

- WinDBG: here we are doing live analysis, with all the difficulties it implies. It is long and painful. You have to
read damn a lot of assembly, thousands of calls, decide to step into or step over, when and based on what assumptions,
etc.
Of course, perfect knowledge of the system internals is required. Difficulty will be raised if ever there are some
anti-debugging protections. Respect to the people who can do it, they are artists, but is it really the most reasonable
way to go?

--- phocean