Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: suspicion of rootkit

From: Alexandru Balan <jaymzu () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 00:46:33 +0300

Tried checking it with an AV ?
http://quickscan.bitdefender.com

On Jul 12, 2012, at 12:06 AM, phocean wrote:

The machine is Windows XP SP3 quite up-to-date, but not fully. Except that Windows Update is not working anymore.
One of the symptoms.

I described the issues there:
http://www.phocean.net/2012/06/30/rootkit-in-my-lab.html
http://www.phocean.net/2012/07/11/rootkit-in-my-lab-part-ii.html

You will see why some symptoms make me think about a rootkit.

You are right, it could be some Windows being messed up.
But it actually happened on a pretty fresh install: I finished setting XP and tens of analysis tools (I aimed this
box to be my fresh reversing system).
So even if possible, it sounds strange that a machine gets corrupted so quickly. And of course, I suspect some of
these tools, got from multiple downloads.
At last, I could analyse them one by one of course, but there are many so it would be painful (and I am not sure that
I kept all setups).

--- phocean