Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ZDI-12-149 : Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Verification Bypass Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

From: kkhagel () netvipe com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:30:59 +0200

On 22.08.2012 18:18, Benji wrote:
" User interaction is required to exploit this vulnerability in that
the target must visit a malicious page or open a malicious file."

sorry, what?

Why not?! Cisco is using a System Service for upgrading parts of the VPN
client. The client simply performs an update check against the currently
configured VPN site, and updates if a newer version is available and the
site policy demands it.
So one could simply replace the previously patched vpndownloader.exe
with the vulnerable version and...

But I also don't understand why "User interaction is required to exploit
this vulnerability". I'm pretty sure it's also working without.