Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DakaRand

From: Ben Laurie <ben () links org>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:54:47 +0100

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:
My assumption is that the other Unixes weren't looking at interrupt
timing
to begin with, i.e. they've always been as starved for entropy as Linux
eventually became.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

Smart people will come around and help correct them?  :)

 That being said, does VXWorks even *have* an OS provided
strong random number generator?

Don't know, don't care.

Why not?  It carries your data.

Routers should not need strong randomness, at least the way the 'net
works now, to carry my data...

Windows has CryptGenRandom, which AFAIK doesn't block, and survives
everything but VM suspend/restore.

FreeBSD also doesn't block.

May I ask what FreeBSD's entropy sources are?

It depends - device drivers can add entropy. It does include interrupt
stuff, but not, by the looks of it, timing information, so I await the
results of your experiments with interest (note, btw, I didn't have
much to do with FreeBSD's /dev/random).