Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: THC SSL DOS tool released

From: BH <lists () blackhat bz>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:15:27 +0800

To make it more difficult to DOS servers using SSL, the protocol could
somehow be modified to challenge the client with some useless** but
cpu-heavy calculation before the server starts acting. Of course it
must be something that does not involve heavy calculation at the
server side, otherwise its just dumb. It's just an idea, and I do not
know if and how this is possible at all.

One problem I can foresee with this is a way to scale this in a secure
manner. At one end of the spectrum you could have Grandma on her little
1.something ghz atom and on the other a mutli processor system or maybe
even GPU. It could take many years to crack for a GPU but then unless
ther is a way to scale that back to make it possible for the little atom
(without being able to use the GPU for the weaker challenge).

I have never actually looked at doing this and would be interested if
there is actually a way to do this without it being weak in some way.