Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Symlink vulnerabilities

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 00:23:23 -0400

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:59:59 EDT, bugs () fbi dhs org said:

Which I thought people really didn't care too much about anymore, I took a
quick look at one of my ubuntu 8.04lts boxes:

These are so easy to fix/avoid, I don't know why developers are still
introducing them to their code.

It's Ubuntu.  What second userid is going to exploit the vulns?

Not sure if the above deserves a smiley or not.  But it's exactly the
mindset that causes these bugs.

In any case, the *right* answer isn't to play whack-a-mole fixing /tmp races,
what you should be doing is using pam_namespace or similar so each user gets
their own /tmp namespace.