Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Chrome pkcs11.txt File Planting

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:22:02 +0000

For what it's worth, I found this article to be far more "matter of fact" in regard to the general concept, the
existing (default) conditions in play, and the conditions which need to be in place (or manipulated) in order for this
to be exploited than some of the other material your company has presented in the past.    Noting "it may or may not be
a vulnerability" shows some research maturity and business intelligence on your part, and was actually refreshing.

When researchers spend too much time painting dire pictures of impact based on (what is typically) non-standard or
exaggerated exposure scenarios, the actual message in the research is lost.  In this case, developers can very easily
see how including features that support functions such as
"library=\\www.binaryplanting.com\demo\chrome_pkcs11Planting\malicious.lib" is a really bad idea.