Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SploitCloud: exploiting cloud brokers for fun and profit

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:17:07 -0500

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Sam Johnston <samj () samj net> wrote:

Apologies for the HTML — too many inline links.

Sam
SploitCloud: exploiting cloud brokers for fun and profit<http://samj.net/2011/10/sploitcloud.html>

[SNIP]

*Update:* If you look at the code you'll see the hourly rate is passed to
the client as "*cost*" and presumably trusted on return (if not, why is
it there?). I haven't seen a price manipulation
vulnerability<http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/common-security-vulnerabilities-e-commerce-systems>in over a
decade, but I'm not tinkering with it because I don't fancy being
accused of stealing from them or their providers.

*Update:* While the consumer API <http://dl.enomaly.com/scbuyerapi> now
uses OAuth, the provider API <http://dl.enomaly.com/scprovider> still
uses Amazon's vulnerable
signatures<http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2008-12-18-AWS-signature-version-1-is-insecure.html>for authentication:

#sorts by key.lowercase(). ie A b c Dee e ffFf
sorted_keys = sorted(parameters.keys(), key=lambda k: k.lower())

#concatenates key,value pairs. a=1,b=2,C=32 becomes "a1b2C32"
data = ’’.join(key + parameters[key] for key in sorted_keys)

#Data is now: ecp_usernamespotcloudusernameparamAvalueTimestamp2006-12-08T07:48:03Z
digest = hmac.new(’spotcloudpassword’, data, sha).digest()

This may have been safe over SSL were it not for the fact that client
libraries (including python) typically don't validate the certificate chain
by default.

http://bugs.python.org/issue1589

"Unfortunately, hostname matching is one of those ideas that seemed better
when it was thought up than it actually proved to be in practice. I've had
extensive experience with this, and have found it to almost always an
application-specific decision..."

and

"It's more of a missing feature than a security issue in itself..."

Jeff