Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sony: No firewall and no patches

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 12:43:35 +1200

Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:

Maybe they should call that "You don't have to patch" genius!  Lol

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Sony-Networks-Lacked-Firewall-Ran-Obsolete-Software-Testimony-103450/

Or, to paraphrase Sony BMG's (then) Global Digital Business President
Thomas Hesse*:

   Most people, I think, don't even know what patch management, threat
   assessment or a firewall is, so why should _we_ care about them?

This group of companies clearly has DNA to prevent them from learning.
Maybe a good reaming by the legal system this time will finally
penetrate their corporately-ignorant ways?  (And yes, somewhat
ironically, I am sending this from a Sony laptop...)

* http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260 -- the
quote is from around 1:56 in the audio.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald