Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerabilities in *McAfee.com

From: Cal Leeming <cal () foxwhisper co uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:33:56 +0100

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Ryan Sears <rdsears () mtu edu> wrote:

How about the scenario in which one statically audit's some javascript
sitting on a site, to notice it does something in an unsafe manner, and can
be used in a XSS attack without actually making it happen?. There was no
actual 'attacking' done, but there was still a vulnerability discovered. Is
THAT considered an illegal act? Is putting a '<3' into a web form/comment
section considered attacking it if you look at the source to see how the
character translated? What if you just wanted to make an ascii heart? My
point is it's a very blurry line, and there are a lot of scenarios where one
may discover a vulnerability without even having to do anything.

Like with most laws, the key point is "intent". If your intention was
clearly not malicious, then you are safe.

As for the source code disclosures, there was absolutely no 'attacking'
done. This was a huge oversight in the site devs, and they were giving that
information to anyone who requested it, plain and simple. What about the
Tumblr incident that happened a while ago? Just because they screwed up a
production script, they ended up leaking massive amounts of internal
infrastructure details, as well as private API keys, and other stuff that
could be used for nefarious means. Is it illegal to visit that page? I think
not, as THEY were putting the information out there (albeit by accident),
but I as a user have no way to know that.

I understand what you're saying about them not asking people to look for
bugs, but it IS the internet. Companies don't typically ask external people
to audit their executables either, but people do it for a number of reasons
(mainly education).

If they leave their site up, people will potentially poke at it. That's
just the way it is. If I have a vested interest in a company (be it monetary
or simply supporting it's cause), I personally want to see the site
flourish, because I am then a part of that site. I want to make sure that my
personal information is protected, and if I do find a bug somewhere, I
report it. I recently found a XSS in OpenDNS's landing page, and they were
very appreciative, very professional, and prompt to respond. This made me
WANT to work with them further to ensure that their infrastructure was
hardened to other forms of attack as well. I don't disclose these sorts of
issues publicly, because I give the developers a chance to fix it, and in my
past experience most companies are happy that I reported an issue, because I
could have just as easily not said anything. If it does come down to it
though, I follow my own public disclosure policy (
http://talesofacoldadmin.com/disclosure.html) based off Rain Forest
Puppy's. It basically just asks for somewhat consistent lines of
communication after I disclose something. If the communication drops (or is
non-existent), then it's at my own discretion to disclose it in a public
forum.

I don't HAVE to disclose anything to anyone, I CHOOSE to disclose it, but
if choosing to disclose something (even in private) means potential legal
troubles, then that takes away the motivation for me to disclose it in any
form. I'm still going to be finding bugs for my own educational purposes,
but I'll just stop disclosing them. That in itself starts to undermine the
internet as a whole, leading to the restriction of information exchange,
which is appalling.

It IS technically illegal to do these sorts of tests without consent, but
at what point DOES it become a 'test'? There's some cases, granted, in which
the intention is clear (testing for blind SQL injections, etc) as they leave
a huge footprint, but there's no explicitly clear line in which it becomes
illegal. Is adding a ' to my name illegal? What if my 70+ year old
grandmother did it by accident? Could she be persecuted as well? You can't
apply the law to only some situations and not others.

I also point you to one of my favorite XKCD's => http://xkcd.com/327/

Is naming your kid something like that technically illegal? Then that
starts getting into free-speech issues, which are most certainly protected
by the constitution. If I want my name to be "Ann <!@#$%^&*()> Hero", and
the site doesn't explicitly tell me I can't do so, then how can I be
expected to reasonably know where their boundaries are? I don't see any
terms of use for using their website anywhere.

This is all just my opinion though, and sorry for the long message!

Ryan