Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Mutt: failure to check server certificate in SMTP TLS connection

From: dave b <db.pub.mail () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:40:06 +1100

Hi,

I've tested this behaviour using both - gnutls and openssl - and it seems
like the only difference is that there is an error printed using openssl:
"Certificate host check failed: certificate owner does not match hostname
imap.myhost.web".

In both cases a user can accept the certificate, but there is no warning
about certificate's hostname mishmash using gnutls, which is a
vulnerability.

I just wanted to sum up the issue, do I understand it correctly?

Yes and no. The thing is with gnutls if the certificate is valid for
another host - like I had in my test example then gnutls will not show
the error and will continue as if there is no error.
Obviously if the host has a certificate that is not 'valid' (e.g. self
signed) mutt will
prompt and ask for you to accept it first .